Unranked Products Update Goes into Effect July 19th @ 5pm PST
The HTScore Algorithm takes into account over a dozen variables which analyze and recalculate daily based on millions of unique data points. The HT Score algorithm alone runs more than 3,000+ lines of code which is run daily which runs thousands of calculations that benchmark not only each product within a given category against other products in the respective category, but also over time (since many of the variables account for content freshness and time decay). Not only does it run this for each product on the site, but for each variable for each product which takes a significant computing power to calculate.
Over the past several years not only has the algorithm become more complex, but simultaneously we have seen tons more products get listed on the site along with substantial growth in the content and data that the algorithm analyzes (ie. reviews, partner recommendations, integrations, etc).
As the HotelTechReport platform and data set has grown, computing the HT Score has become significantly more resource intensive to the point where it has begun impacting application performance.
In order to increase app performance for Premium Members and site speed for hoteliers-- beginning on July 19, 2023 HotelTechReport will stop calculating an HTScore for products that do not have a trustworthy profile (aka. < than 25 cumulative all-time reviews) as a way to reduce the computational capacity required to run the HT Score. Products without a trustworthy profile don't have sufficient feedback on the platform for the algorithm to effectively rank them so this was a natural fit to reduce the scope of the dataset that the HT Score analyzes.
After the update goes live, any product with <25 reviews will show "unranked" on their profiles and default sort after ranked vendors by # of reviews across the site. As soon as vendors achieve 25 reviews, they will receive a rank within 24-hours.
- Before: All products on the site were factored into the HT Score algorithm and received an HT Score
- After: Only products with a trustworthy profile (>25 reviews) will be factored into the HT Score algorithm. Prior to a product obtaining 25-reviews, it will be marked on the site as 'unranked' and will not earn an HT Score
How does this improve the experience for hoteliers?
The purpose of this update is to help improve application performance and site speed as well as help hoteliers avoid viewing products as ranked that realistically don't have a trustworthy profile or sufficient data to be ranked effectively by the algorithm. Products that don't have a trustworthy profile with at least 25-reviews will be clearly marked as 'unranked' so buyers know that there is not sufficient feedback to rank the product based on user feedback from hoteliers in the community.
How will this impact your company?
- This will only impact companies who aren't engaged on Hotel Tech Report and who don't meet the minimum trustworthiness criteria on their profile
- When the update goes live on July 19th, products with fewer than 25 reviews may notice a significant change in rank due to the algorithm removing their HT Score
- Products without trustworthy profiles and who don't meet the minimum review volumes to earn an HT Score (<25 reviews) will not be ranked and this will show on their profiles and index pages as 'Not yet ranked'
How can I prevent any negative impact?
Just make sure you don't have any products with fewer than 25 verified reviews on the platform to make sure all of your product profiles are above the trustworthy profile threshold.
Need help collecting reviews quickly?